Sep 5, 2009

Happy 70th Birthday, Dad!


The true measure of a man’s worth
一個人的價值


Is not merely his lifetime of accomplishments
不僅僅取決於他此生的事業成就

But rather his legacy of lives influenced for future generations
更在於他對於子孫們的啟示與影響

Thank you for teaching me more than what is decent, but what is honorable
您讓我知道不能只滿足於言行舉止得宜, 還要追求更高尚正直的榮譽


More than what is acceptable, but what is admirable
不僅將事情做到可接受的程度, 更要鞭策自己讓結果更完好

More than what is kind, but what is compassion
與人為善之外,還要心存憐憫

More than what is respectable, but what is inspirational
受人敬重之外, 更要啟發激勵

I will unlikely win a Nobel Prize
我或許無法贏得諾貝爾獎

And my research will most likely earn little recognition
我的研究工作也許沒能得到許多認同

But for every patient that I treat,
但每一位經我醫治的病患

Every family that I comfort,
每一個被我撫慰的家庭

Every smile I encounter,
每一朵在我眼前展現的笑容

And every child who says “I wan to grow up to be a doctor just like you,”
每一個說 "長大以後我也要像你一樣當個醫生" 的孩童

They are reflection of your love, generosity, and wisdom imparted on me,
都是您給我無私的愛與智慧的投射

And eternal continuation of your legacy
也是我將努力不休的傳承

Dad, I respect and love you very much,
親愛的爸爸, 我非常地愛您敬您

And I will forever be proud to carry on your legacy
我以身為您的兒子為傲
也將致力於把您對我的影響力傳給我所碰觸到的每一個人每一顆心


Happy 70th Birthday, Dad!



Jack/translated by Sabrina


No comments:

Post a Comment